This module enables learners to demonstrate the ability to use a word processing application to accomplish everyday tasks associated with creating, formatting and finishing small-sized word processing documents such as letters and other everyday documents.
Learners will be able to duplicate and move text within and between documents. They gain competence in using some of the features associated with word processing applications such as creating standard tables, using pictures and images within a document, and using mail merge tools.
On completion of this module each learner will be able to:
- Work with documents and save them in different file formats
- Choose built-in options such as the Help function to enhance productivity
- Create and edit small-sized word processing documents that will be ready to share and distribute
- Apply different formats to documents to enhance them before distribution and recognise good practice in choosing the appropriate formatting options
- Insert tables, images and drawn objects into documents
- Prepare documents for mail merge operations
- Adjust document page settings and check and correct spelling before finally printing documents
This course is intended for learners with little or no knowledge of using a word processing application to create and format professional looking letters and reports.
The learner must be able to:
- operate a Personal Computer, use keyboard and mouse
- read, write, speak and understand English (Work Place Literacy Level 4 – lower secondary level)
Using the Application
Working with Documents
- Open, close a word processing application. Open, close documents.
- Create a new document based on default template, other available template like: memo, fax, agenda.
- Save a document to a location on a drive. Save a document under another name to a location on a drive.
- Save a document as another file type like: text file, Rich Text Format, template, software specific file extension, version number.
- Switch between open documents.
- Set basic options/preferences in the application: user name, default folder to open, save documents.
- Use available Help functions.
- Use magnification/zoom tools.
- Display, hide built-in toolbars. Restore, minimize the ribbon.
- Switch between page view modes.
- Enter text into a document.
- Insert symbols or special characters like: ©, ®, ™.
- Display, hide non-printing formatting marks like: spaces, paragraph marks, manual line break marks, tab characters.
- Select character, word, line, sentence, paragraph, entire body text.
- Edit content by entering, removing characters, words within existing text, by over-typing to replace existing text.
- Use a simple search command for a specific word, phrase.
- Use a simple replace command for a specific word, phrase.
- Copy, move text within a document, between open documents.
- Delete text.
- Use the undo, redo command.
- Change text formatting: font sizes, font types.
- Apply text formatting: bold, italic, underline.
- Apply text formatting: subscript, superscript.
- Apply different colours to text.
- Apply case changes to text.
- Apply automatic hyphenation.
- Create, merge paragraph(s).
- Insert, remove soft carriage return (line break).
- Recognize good practice in aligning text: use align, indent, tab tools rather than inserting spaces.
- Align text left, centre, right, justified.
- Indent paragraphs: left, right, first line.
- Set, remove and use tabs: left, centre, right, decimal.
- Recognize good practice in paragraph spacing: apply spacing between paragraphs rather than use the Return key.
- Apply spacing above, below paragraphs. Apply single, 1.5 lines, double line spacing within paragraphs.
- Add, remove bullets, numbers in a single level list. Switch between different standard bullet, number styles in a single level list.
- Add a box border and shading / background colour to a paragraph.
- Apply an existing character style to selected text.
- Apply an existing paragraph style to one or more paragraphs.
- Use copy format tool.
- Create a table ready for data insertion.
- Insert, edit data in a table.
- Select rows, columns, cells, entire table.
- Insert, delete, rows and columns.
- Modify column width, row height.
- Modify cell border line style, width, colour.
- Add shading/background colour to cells.
- Insert an object (picture, image, chart, drawn object) to a specified location in a document.
- Select an object.
- Copy, move an object within a document, between open documents.
- Resize, delete an object.
- Open, prepare a document, as a main document for a mail merge.
- Select a mailing list, other data file, for use in a mail merge.
- Insert data fields in a mail merge main document (letter, address labels).
- Merge a mailing list with a letter, label document as a new file or printed output.
- Print mail merge outputs: letters, labels.
- Change document orientation: portrait, landscape. Change paper size.
- Change margins of entire document, top, bottom, left, right.
- Recognize good practice in adding new pages: insert a page break rather than using the Return key.
- Insert, delete a page break in a document.
- Add, edit text in headers, footers.
- Add fields in headers, footers: date, page number information, file name.
- Apply automatic page numbering to a document.
Check and Print
- Spell check a document and make changes like: correcting spelling errors, deleting repeated words.
- Add words to a built-in custom dictionary using a spell checker.
- Preview a document.
- Print a document from an installed printer using output options like: entire document, specific pages, number of copies.
|Full Fee||GST||Nett Fee after Funding (Incl. GST)|
MCES: Singaporean age 40 and above
Normal: Singaporean/PR age 21 and above
WTS: Singaporean age 35 and above and earning $2,000 or below per month
SME: Singapore registered companies with
(i) at least 30% local sharing AND
(ii) group annual sales less than or equal to $100 million OR group employment size less than or equal to 200 people